Thursday, 20 March 2014

A2

This post is not really about any theories or coding methods we learned in class, its mostly about the stress of assignment 2. Firstly when going through part 1, I clearly read the instructions wrong and feverishly began developing a series of classes whos __eq__ methods were for the string matching of regexes. After realizing my mistake, I was able to finish part 1, just in time for the extended deadline. Then I was greeted with exercise 3, which was also no walk in the park. Finally I was able to create a successful submission. Then, bombarded with midterms and other work I began to tackle part 2. After being stuck on is_regex for a couple of days, I rediscovered the magic of helper functions.

The take home message from my struggle through this assignment was that it really helps to write things out and break them up into parts before writing any code. Sometimes thinking about the task at hand before coding seems too abstract so what I like to do is start writing the code and think through comments. And then once I get stuck thats when I pull out the paper and pen and really break down what the problem is, and why I can't get to where I want to be. Thats how I tackled finding the index of the root of regex strings. Once I realized I had no idea how to do this on my own, off to the help centre I went! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment